*** LATEST: Broadstairs Labour Party has also adopted the SONiK resolution***
••• Margate West, Birchington and Villages branch has backed this too •••
The following resolution was passed at a meeting of Thanet North Labour Party this week. Other party groups and organisations are welcome to back us too. We are not a party political group but welcome support and backing.
Save Our NHS in Kent RESOLUTION
The North Thanet Constituency Labour Party notes:
The NHS is under-funded, understaffed and struggling to cope with increasing demand. The Government is aiming to cut another £22bn from the NHS by 2020, nearly a fifth of the entire NHS budget. They intend to achieve this through Sustainability and Transformation Plans (STP).
STPs involve a major reorganisation of the NHS from top to bottom. Under the 2012 Health & Social Care Act any new or reorganised health service must be put out to tender, so most services could be run by private providers in the next 3-4 years.
In east Kent we already know part of the proposed plan is to:
• Reduce the number of GP surgeries. In the whole of Thanet, there will be as few as three, for example. • Services closed last year at Kent & Canterbury Hospital (without consultation) will stay closed.
• Stroke care for the whole of East Kent will be in a Hyper-Acute Stroke Unit (HASU) located in Ashford (Mid-Kent). Current services in Margate and Canterbury will close. Journey times from the coastal towns – with high levels of poor health and deprivation – could lead to death and disability due to late treatment.
The Save Our NHS in Kent (SONiK) group are organising with others a protest outside Margate QEQM Hospital at noon on 24 February 2018. The protest is to stop removal of stroke services from east Kent and for the delivery of a HASU at the hospital.
This CLP believes:
• The millions of pounds being cut from Kent’s NHS budget through the STP should be halted and reversed. The STP should be halted. Proper provision should be made for all NHS services.
• Stroke services in Kent and Medway have become a post-code lottery. Thanet QEQM needs a Hyper-Acute Stroke Unit (HASU).
• We must defend the NHS as a publicly funded, publicly run health service, free at the point of deliv- ery. Social Care should be run on a similar basis. Privatisation has no place in the NHS.
This CLP resolves:
• To back the SONiK protest on 24 February. To encourage members to attend and aim to send a banner to the protest.
• To support Thanet Trades Council’s ‘NHS Day’ planned for Saturday 5 May, in Margate. • To donate the sum of £ * to SONiK to help towards the cost of the campaign.
* please note that the funds for SONiK are held in trust by Thanet TUC and cheques should be made payable to: Thanet TUC. SONiK c/o 11 Grosvenor Road, Broadstairs, Kent, CT10 2BT
Please email and let know how whether the motion was agreed saveourNHSkent@gmail.com